BCHCAZ Board Meeting – May 4, 2021
Zoom Meeting can be used by a Smartphone.
Roll Call – Quorum
- President – Craig Ferdig
- Secretary – Rene Ferdig
- Treasurer – Dan Thornhill
- Membership – Katherine Thornhill
- Trails Maintenance – Spike Hicks
- Sedona – Joan Bouck
- Trail leader – Christina McCarty
- Financial / Membership Update – Dan
- Membership – 3 more memberships. 80 + 3 that Craig has applications for.
- Need new insurance company. Christina uses EQGroup for Starfish Riders. July 19th the policy will lapse and needs to be replaced by then.
- Salida Gulch gate – cowboy gate near the back, but nothing needs to be done until the fall.
- Almosta Trail – Mint Wash, heavy equipment on private land messed up the wash. Spike will contact John Hunt.
- Kendrick Mountain re-supply. Kaibab Nt’l Forest has new head, moving slow. Trail is overgrown and trees are down. Mark Stevropolis will not be available due to fire season
- Grant request for Forest Service for chainsaw and other tools. BHCA gave us a grant for $600 + $400 from us. Mark can get two custom made chainsaw attachments for pack animals.
- May Events:
- Self-Defense on Horseback clinic – Horse Lords, May 15th ($150 per rider / $30 audit). 18 audits and 10 riders
- May 8th – 9th Ned Leigh 2-Day Horsemanship Clinic FULL with 10 riders and . Auditor spots only available. ($275 per rider / $20 auditor fee per day)
- June events
- June 5th Little Thumb Butte members ride. FULL Jim Higgs will lead the trail.
- Bumblebee Update
- Starting to receive donations for auction. Shelly and Claudia will spearhead donations search.
- Going to get rid of the old flyer. Craig, Wendy, and Katherine will work on new flyer design.
- JC is interested in being auctioneer
- Initial meeting had six participants, commitees formed.
- Sedona Update
- Girdner trail turnouts to be carved out. 4-5 turnouts identified for other trail users coming up the trail. Work schedule Fall 2021 / Spring 2022 hasn’t been made up yet, but hoping for Fall 2021.
- Getting better response from Chris Johannson.
- Parking is being enforced at Bell Rock horse trailer parking ($80).
- Craig will ride with Chris J for June 12th to show Chris what it’s like for equestrians. Or June 19th.
- Sedona Red Rock Trail Fund would like to show BCHCAZ as a partner. Funds a lot of the trail work in Sedona. (about $1 mil in the past 6-7 years). We will allow them to use our logo on their website. Board members voted on this and approved.
- Spruce Mountain 307 grant – 15k approved, we committed $1500 to help
- $25k grant has not yet come in, but no crews will be available (will be assigned to fire duty)
- Prescott Rodeo
- Tickets are on sale (full audience)
- Parade – 5 people so far for the parade. Theme is Western History. Question came up of should all participants in the parade be members? Only 5 members volunteered. Some board members would like a way for people who can’t ride or walk to participate in the parade.
- Joan will reach out to people in other communities to get volunteers for the parade.
- Bartending – 12 people have volunteered for bartending. No one for downstairs bar.
- All volunteers must have BCHCAZ shirt. Katherine working on that. Volunteer shirts will be $15. Shirts are $35 for everyone else.
- Groom Creek Horse Camp
- Spike bought a gate and took it to Groom Creek for them to install. Checking on the panel.
- Susan Johnson nor Jason has responded to clean-up.
- Spike checked with Susan Johnson on replacing a wooden tie-up with a metal one. Susan will let Spike know.
Adjourn. Next meeting is Monday, June 7th